1.1 Title of the Project
Development of Landslide Risk Assessment Technology
along Transport Arteries in Vietnam
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
Ministry of Transport (MOT)
· Address: No.80 Tran Hung Dao Str., Hoan Kiem Dist., Hanoi, Vietnam
· Tel: (+844)3942015 Fax: (+844)39423291
Institute of Transport Science and Technology (ITST)
· Address: No.1252 Lang Str., Dong Da Dist., Hanoi, Vietnam
· Tel: +84.4.37663404/38347980 Fax: +84.4.37663403
· Email: email@example.com
· License registration for Science and Technology No. 117 dated 10/07/1993 by Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment, and registration number A-065 dated 07/8/2009 issued by Ministry of Science and Technology.
Duration of the Project is 05 years (04/2012 – 2016).
1.7 Location for implementing the Project
To assess the landslide risk at some typical study sites as below:
(1) Ho Chi Minh Route (between Lo Xo Pass and Aluoi Town);
(2) National Highway No.1 (between Hue and Da Nang); and
(3) National railway (between Hue and Da Nang).
Total funds of Project is 103,246.00 VND (Vietnamese Dong One hundred and Three billion, Two hundred and Forty Six million Only), provided by the Japanese Government as grant aids.
The landslide risk assessment technology to reduce disasters caused by landslides on transport arteries is developed by joint research based on experimental technology from Japan and human resources development to effectively use the technology in implementation in Vietnam.
Socialization of development of landslide risk assessment technology and early warning system to ensure transport arteries and mountainous resident areas in Vietnam.
(1) Integrated Research for Development of landslide risk assessment technology and education
Ø General guidelines of landslide risk assessment technology application is developed by Activities of Work Group (2), (3) and (4);
Ø Managers and scientists’ education and capacity enhancement;
Ø Scientific reports.
Ø The Project’s outputs are published in the purpose of society interest attractiveness and socialization encouragement for the application of landslide risk assessment technology and early warning system.
(2) Wide-area landslide mapping and identification of landslide risk area
(3) Laboratory soil testing & Computer simulation of landslide initiation and motion for the development of landslide risk assessment technology.
(4) Investigation and selection of pilot area for landslide monitoring, development of early warming system, measure of landslide risk and development of early warning system by landslide monitoring at the pilot study site at the top of Hai Van Pass railway station.
Work Group 1: Integrated Research for Development of landslide risk assessment technology and education
- Prepare integrated guidelines for the application of developed landslide risk assessment technology based on the Activities (2), (3) and (4).
- Education and Human resources development.
- Organizing of scientific conferences; spread, propagation of information and results of the Project and publishing papers and scientific reports.
Work Group 2: Wide-area landslide mapping and identification of landslide risk area
- Identification of potential landslide sites from air and satellite photos.
- Identification of the precursor stage of landslides by the pattern analysis of digital surface model (DSM) of forest cover and others.
- Formation of landslide risk map based on detailed field investigation and analytical model such as Analytical Hierarchy Process method (AHP) and Fuzzy method.
- Development of the technology to visualize the feature of landslide.
Work Group 3: Laboratory soil testing & Computer simulation of landslide initiation and motion
- Research on the application of un-drained dynamic-loading ring shear apparatus.
- Elucidation of the initiation mechanism and the dynamics of motion prior to landslide.
- Development of hazard assessment technology of the precursor stage of landslides.
Work Group 4: Development of landslide risk measure technology and early warming system by landslide monitoring
- Selection of pilot area for landslide monitoring based on the field investigation.
- Development of the integrated automatic monitoring system for rainfall-groundwater-slope movement.
- Establishment of early warning system suitable for the region based on the landslide experiment on natural slopes with artificial rains.
(Plan for implementation of these activities of the Project is described in the Appendix 4).
PROJECT MANAGEMENT STRUCTURE